Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Todd, let me comment on Ground Balancing the Bandido II microMAX.
Posted by: Carl-NC
Date: December 24, 2019 11:34AM
Monte
I would not increase or decrease the GB from 'spot-on' by ½ turn. That model uses a 3¾-turn GB pot whereas the original Bandido and Bandido II use a 10-turn GB pot and might still function OK with a ½-turn either side, but not the 3¾-turn pot.

Sorry for the slow reply, just saw this. I re-read my earlier post and it certainly wasn't clear.

The reason I suggested GB +/- ½ turn is to ensure the GB control has enough range. If you GB a piece of ferrite, and then can still turn the knob +/- ½ turn without hitting the end of the control range (which, on a 3¾-turn pot, is soft and a little difficult to feel), then the GB should have enough range to handle any ground. OTOH, if you GB to ferrite and the GB control is right up against the end-of-range, then you probably want to go inside and adjust the range offset. An AM radio stick will work, although an EMI core would be better.

Posted by: ToddB64
Date: December 24, 2019 02:47PM
Carl-NC
Monte
I would not increase or decrease the GB from 'spot-on' by ½ turn. That model uses a 3¾-turn GB pot whereas the original Bandido and Bandido II use a 10-turn GB pot and might still function OK with a ½-turn either side, but not the 3¾-turn pot.

Sorry for the slow reply, just saw this. I re-read my earlier post and it certainly wasn't clear.

The reason I suggested GB +/- ½ turn is to ensure the GB control has enough range. If you GB a piece of ferrite, and then can still turn the knob +/- ½ turn without hitting the end of the control range (which, on a ¾-turn pot, is soft and a little difficult to feel), then the GB should have enough range to handle any ground. OTOH, if you GB to ferrite and the GB control is right up against the end-of-range, then you probably want to go inside and adjust the range offset. An AM radio stick will work, although an EMI core would be better.

Carl-NC,

Thanks for the clarifications ! :smile:

However, in reference to your above comments in blue, if using either an AM radio ferrite stick or an EMI ferrite core (Which I assume a split core type would qualify.) and the Bandido II µMax 33/4 turn GB control dial is right up against the end-of-range, are you still saying "then you probably want to go inside and adjust the range offset" ?

I've read cautions/warnings in the past that advise the average person against trying to adjust the inside GB control in particular, because without the knowledge and experience they could really mess things up to the extent that professional service is required for correction. Maybe these cautions were the result of some "ham-handed" inexperienced person making the adjustment...dunno.

Your comments on this please.

ToddB64

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, White's Classic ll, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Treasure Products Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Posted by: Carl-NC
Date: December 24, 2019 03:28PM
ToddB64
I've read cautions/warnings in the past that advise the average person against trying to adjust the inside GB control in particular, because without the knowledge and experience they could really mess things up to the extent that professional service is required for correction. Maybe these cautions were the result of some "ham-handed" inexperienced person making the adjustment...dunno.

This mostly pertains to a fixed-GB detector, where messing with the preset GB can make the detector unusable. But even with a variable-GB detector you need to know what you are doing. My initial reply was only to your question of how to determine if the controls are operating correctly. Most likely they are, but if they are not, then the way to fix them is a whole other conversation.

Date: December 24, 2019 04:17PM
Carl-NC
ToddB64

This mostly pertains to a fixed-GB detector, where messing with the preset GB can make the detector unusable. But even with a variable-GB detector you need to know what you are doing. My initial reply was only to your question of how to determine if the controls are operating correctly. Most likely they are, but if they are not, then the way to fix them is a whole other conversation.

Thanks for clarifying that Carl. :smile:

Due to freezing temps, I haven't checked my Bandido II µMax controls yet to see if they are operating correctly, but asap I will, using the methods you and Monte kindly gave me earlier.

Wishing you a Great Christmas and New Years !

ToddB64

Teknetics Gamma 6000, Tesoro Bandido II µMax and Compadre, White's Classic ll, Garrett Ace250 and Pro-Pointer AT, Treasure Products Vibra-Probe 570, Cen-Tech Pinpointer, Lesche Digger, Tabdog Digger Replica, RatphonesMax Headphones, Janster Coin Probe.

Date: December 26, 2019 05:01PM
Carl-NC
Monte

The reason I suggested GB +/- ½ turn is to ensure the GB control has enough range. If you GB a piece of ferrite, and then can still turn the knob +/- ½ turn without hitting the end of the control range (which, on a 3¾-turn pot, is soft and a little difficult to feel), then the GB should have enough range to handle any ground. OTOH, if you GB to ferrite and the GB control is right up against the end-of-range, then you probably want to go inside and adjust the range offset. An AM radio stick will work, although an EMI core would be better.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Carl-NC,

Re your ferrite core preference I colored blue above, here's a link I've been reading https://palomar-engineers.com/ferrite-products/ferrite-cores/ferrite-mix-selection, that says "There are two basic ferrite material groups: (1) Those having a permeability range from 20 to 850µ are of the Nickel Zinc (NiZn) class (mix 43, 52, 61), and (2) those having initial permeabilities above 850µ are usually of the Manganese Zinc (MnZn) class (Mix 31, 73, 75).", andl Carl if you click-on the Link it gives additional information regarding the properties of the basic ferrite material groups.

Now, I would like to obtain an EMI core for testing the GB circuit of my Bandido 2 µMax to get "better" results, but before shopping the Internet I have a question for you.

Question: Which "permeability micro-range and mix" do you think I need ?

Thanks,
Toddb64