Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Beep & Dig Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Shortening coil cable?
Posted by: tag1260
Date: December 29, 2019 01:47PM
Have an opportunity to pick up a 5.75" concentric for my Tesoro but it's 8 foot cable. How hard would it be to shorten this or is there a tuning that needs considered?
Thanks

Re: Shortening coil cable?
Posted by: voytek
Date: December 29, 2019 09:34PM
Funny, tomorrow I'm getting new coil for compadre and in few days I'm planning to do same thing with 8" coil, I hope you will get someone to reply soon

Posted by: South Padre Treasure
Date: December 30, 2019 08:31AM
A cable is a cable, the length does not mean you would need to retune in anyway. Are you planning to cut cable in between the coil and connector and splice back together or take apart the connector and resolder there?
Both would work as long as you resolder and make sure you take a picture so you know what wire goes where.

I have used longer cables and shorter cables on my detectors and as long as you don't make them too long, you wont have much if any loss of signal. kinda like a extension cord after so many feet you loose amps.
Make sure you shield for RF interference if you splice and make it waterproof if you plan on getting it into water.

If you decide to use another shaft you might want to measure and leave a little extra. straight carbon shaft would need more if you customize it.

If you do cut cable, don't throw the extra away! you can use it for many projects down the road. Hope this helps in some way.

Happy Hunting and Happy New Year!

Posted by: Dig-a-holic
Date: December 31, 2019 09:13AM
Contact Brokendetector.com and see if he can do it.

Posted by: Sven
Date: January 01, 2020 06:17AM
Its an easy mod to shorten and resolder the cable to the connector.
Press on the connector little tab and the assembly slides right out the front of the connector.
Take a look at it just to see if you think you can do it.
If so,
Jot down on paper what color wires get soldered to what # pin on the connector.
Or pay someone $35+ plus shipping to do it.

Nokta/Makro--Cruze'n with the Simplex for 2020
DeepTech Vista X, and maybe a few others
Self built Mirage Pi --- works great in trashy areas!!