Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Wet suit boot question
Posted by: Fire Fighter 43
Date: September 13, 2019 12:23PM
For those of you who hunt with a wet suit on. What do you wear for foot wear, wet suit boots or wader boots? Do you wear any type of sock in the boots? Thank you.

2019 silver coin count 32

Equinox 800, 15”, 11” & 6” coils
XP Deus 9"HF, 11" & 11”X13” X35 coils
Gray Ghost underwater headphones, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Find 35 & XP Mi6 pointers, Lesch Tool, Stealth 08 water scoop

Previous machines since 1977 CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI S2, 6DB, Alaskan TR4B, Beachcomber

Re: Wet suit boot question
Posted by: OldBeechnut
Date: September 13, 2019 03:25PM
I have two pairs of ..XS Scuba Thug 8mm Zippered Boots, 11 and 13...the 11's I wear with my wetsuit then I wear a regular small sox...but at the ocean where sand comes in I'll wear a neoprene or Lavacore sox.., the 13's I wear with my neoprene soxed drysuit. I hunt alot and these last about 4 years seems. Hard sole and the zipper is the biggest I've ever seen on a boot.
https://www.globosurfer.com/best-dive-boots/ ranked #6..

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....1 Silvers ...2

Posted by: tvr
Date: September 13, 2019 04:33PM
OldBeechnut spends more time in the water than I do ... but I've tried a few shoes over the years and I like the NRS ATB Wetshoes. For me, they support my arches well and give very good traction on the beach, rock and shells (just watch out for algae covered rocks) and they are good for pushing on the scoop. I were normal socks to prevent toe chafing. In the ocean they do let some sand in.

Get some zipper wax and wax the zippers every few hunts to keep them from hanging up.

Posted by: 2wheeldevil
Date: September 13, 2019 06:09PM
These are my 6mm boots that have served me well for about 3 yrs. now. But almost impossible to get them on when they are wet.

Posted by: OldBeechnut
Date: September 13, 2019 07:33PM
2wheeldevil
These are my 6mm boots that have served me well for about 3 yrs. now. But almost impossible to get them on when they are wet.
Plastic Grocery store bag will take care of that...Mine are often wet from the day before...With a plastic bag on it's like a greased pig...the old feet slip right in, then time come to take them off... slips right off and I've found it takes the stress off of the boots from all of the yanking and pulling. I found this out by using my foot to step on the back of the other shoe to pull it off......and this pulled the rear of the heal loose on my first set...easy repaired with aquaseal but does age them faster.

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....1 Silvers ...2

Date: September 14, 2019 09:29AM
Thank you for the replies.

Gray Ghost underwater headphones, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Find 35 & XP Mi6 pointers, Lesch Tool, Stealth 08 water scoop

Previous machines since 1977 CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI S2, 6DB, Alaskan TR4B, Beachcomber

Date: September 14, 2019 07:28PM
I’m going to give the SEAC ones that 2wheeldevil recommended. I’ll let you know what I think once I’ve tried them.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: September 20, 2019 03:47PM
Check out Mares 6.5 mm hard bottoms too

MDT 8000, EQ 800, CTX, Blue Xcals
Dew Meeker

Posted by: Waterbug
Date: September 24, 2019 08:30AM
My water hunting outfit consists of a pair of HD nylon black panty hose with a nylon long sleeve T shirt. This makes it very easy to put on and take off the wetsuit and SEAC 6mm boots. I think the boots with HD soles are best.

Posted by: bklein
Date: September 25, 2019 02:11AM
OldBeechnut
I have two pairs of ..XS Scuba Thug 8mm Zippered Boots, 11 and 13...the 11's I wear with my wetsuit then I wear a regular small sox...but at the ocean where sand comes in I'll wear a neoprene or Lavacore sox.., the 13's I wear with my neoprene soxed drysuit. I hunt alot and these last about 4 years seems. Hard sole and the zipper is the biggest I've ever seen on a boot.
https://www.globosurfer.com/best-dive-boots/ ranked #6..

I got the #1 boot, Mares Trilastic 5mm. They just died on me this last outing and its been a year. I walk a LOT on the beaches hunting with them. They have some kind of memory foam stuff on the sole that gathered up near my toes and was a serious problem. The heel area wore through to the plastic below. The heels separated on both - one at the lower junction, the other at the top neoprene junction.
I suppose my use goes beyond something that a warranty would cover even though the warranty is two years. I basically abused these, expecting them to hold up like OBN said, using one foot to hold down the sole of the other to get them off and then pulling the top to get them on. The zipper was unusable as sand would freeze it in place. Never heard of zipper wax. Would it help? I don't stand in the water like Florida guys; I walk all over the wet and dry, always moving. Just wondering if there is something better to get. I used 2.5mm socks that were a nice addition to the boots. Had the thin socks but they tore quickly.

Date: September 25, 2019 10:45PM
It wasn’t memoryfoam at the toes - it was sand. Got in because of the holes at the heel area. Im going to try a couple sole inserts and sew up the neoprene tears.

Date: September 26, 2019 11:49AM
About the zipper wax: I find it useful to keep the zippers working. On a trip when we flew and I packed light, without the zipper wax, the zippers started to bind. I went to a dollar store and got a medium sized candle and used that to rub in the zippers. It helped too.

Date: September 27, 2019 12:27AM
But if you are in dry and wet sand doesn’t it get stuck in the wax?

Date: September 27, 2019 08:55AM
That was my concern before I tried it. It actually works well and doesn't accumulate sand anymore than it did without the wax. Local scuba shop recommended the zipper wax.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: October 04, 2019 07:28AM
You will also find the heavier the MM body is the less they smell. Light soft bottom boots tend to REAK ...... i mean reak badly.

MDT 8000, EQ 800, CTX, Blue Xcals
Dew Meeker