Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Beach and Water / Scuba Dive Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
minelab coil covers & sand !!!!!
Posted by: foiled again tab hunter
Date: September 21, 2019 12:02PM
I know this has been ask & answered before, but how do ya'll keep the sand out of the coil cover.....I have an excal & like seeing the yellow rim around the coil....thought about putting hot glue around the rim of the cover ? any thoughts or suggestions that work would be appreciated....Thanks Tab.

Re: minelab coil covers & sand !!!!!
Posted by: TinCanBeach
Date: September 21, 2019 10:28PM
Although this doesn’t prevent sand intrusion, the only method I use is to remove the coil cover and rinse the sand off.

Equinox 800 / XP Deus / ORX / Simplex+

Posted by: OldBeechnut
Date: September 21, 2019 11:30PM
Messy but I filled (1/2 way) my excalibur cover with a 2 part, 24 hour epoxy...then set the coil into it. It's messy but it works...

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....1 Silvers ...2

Date: September 22, 2019 10:58AM
OldBeechnut
Messy but I filled (1/2 way) my excalibur cover with a 2 part, 24 hour epoxy...then set the coil into it. It's messy but it works...

Thanks OBN....I did that to another coil I had but the mess was just messey…..Tab.

Date: September 22, 2019 11:00AM
TinCanBeach
Although this doesn’t prevent sand intrusion, the only method I use is to remove the coil cover and rinse the sand off.

Thanks TCB I have been doing that but it messes up my nails which are thin.....Tab.

Posted by: GranPa19
Date: September 22, 2019 11:23AM
I spray the bottle of my coils with a truck bed liner spray. The heavy duty kind, not thin paint. Test spray it on a sheet of cardboard first, and run your detector over it to be sure it doesn’t have anything metallic in it. I give the bottoms of my coils 3 coats. None of the coatings have worn thru yet.
Ed
PS
Home Depot sells a bed liner spray called “Herculiner”, $11.99 a can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2019 11:28AM by GranPa19.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: September 22, 2019 07:06PM
I wear the heck out of a coil cover. So I use loctiite marine epoxy on the bottoms of the cover. I remove occasionally.....the Xcal isn’t as sensitive as some machines to black sand. Sealing it permanently would be a real bad idea for me.

MDT 8000, EQ 800, CTX, Blue Xcals
Dew Meeker

Posted by: zigzag4
Date: September 23, 2019 06:12AM
I remove my coil covers and use Loctite marine epoxy on the bottom and sides. I put on a couple coats and use 2 packs of epoxy.

Posted by: Mkus
Date: September 23, 2019 06:17AM
You can use black electrical tape go around edge covering gap quick and simple and it works its what I do.
Mark

Date: September 26, 2019 07:53PM
Thanks for all the suggestions....I have decided to put wire ties all around the coil cover here are some pics...…….Tab.

Posted by: Kraemer
Date: September 27, 2019 06:50PM
Mkus
You can use black electrical tape go around edge covering gap quick and simple and it works its what I do.
Mark
Minelab sells a coil cover tape to seal covers on. I bought it and appears to be half inch wide white duct tape! Works well but over fifteen dollars.

Posted by: voyager32
Date: September 27, 2019 07:37PM
I drilled a series of holes in the cover to allow water and sand to wash out, water is heavy, drill from the inside out to prevent burrs, works well.

Posted by: Mkus
Date: September 28, 2019 01:58PM
Kraemer
Mkus
Mark
Minelab sells a coil cover tape to seal covers on. I bought it and appears to be half inch wide white duct tape! Works well but over fifteen dollars.
I use the electrical tape no problems works like a charm.

Posted by: dewcon4414
Date: October 04, 2019 08:32AM
That’s really a good idea...drilling holes. Unless you do what Joe does....seal completely then the banging around will loosen most, wire tires won’t work. Option of letting it out seems best.....but I noticed on the CTX the cover tends to come away from the coil if water is allowed in. But at least u can change your cover when needed

MDT 8000, EQ 800, CTX, Blue Xcals
Dew Meeker

Posted by: Digger 45
Date: October 07, 2019 10:50AM
I use bathroom caulking and seal the complete coil, looks good if done right and never have to pull the cover off again.