Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
How many still use a vintage classic detector from the 70's-80's?
Posted by: Sven
Date: October 12, 2019 08:47AM
What are you using?
How often do you use it?
Disc or All Metal mode?
Favorite coil size?
What are the depths you are finding coins and jewelry at with it? Please no inflated, imaginary depths.

Nokta/Makro--Cruze'n with the Simplex for 2020
DeepTech Vista X, and maybe a few others
Self built Mirage Pi --- works great in trashy areas!!

Re: How many still use a vintage classic detector from the 70's-80's?
Posted by: Tom_in_CA
Date: October 23, 2019 09:55AM
I have a 77b that I got on the used market. Don't hardly use it though. I've come to decide that various 2-filter Tesoros (eg.: Bandio, Sabre, etc...) can accomplish about the same thing, and are more user-friendly.

The depth , for a coin-sized target, on the 77b might have been 6" or so in an air test. But in the ground, more like 4 or 5" (depending on the minerals). No disc, other than to null over small iron.

Posted by: Texadillo
Date: October 26, 2019 05:11AM
Only detector I have from the 80's is the original Eldorado from Tesoro. Currently it won't power up...almost certain the on/off/sensitivity potentiometer has gone bad. I do remember the last few times I used it that potentiometer was real scratchy? I relocated the control box to the rear to give it a better balance and depending on trash would either use 6", 7" or 8" concentric coils. Still a fun detector to use though it doesn't get used near as much as when it was new. Ha! Discriminate mode is mainly used when searching but would also use all-metal mode to size up targets for more possible target information. May not be the deepest detector but Tesoro's were pretty good when it came to hunting trashier sites. I once dug a fairly deep (8-9") early 1800's large copper 1/2 Skilling at an old plantation site using the Troy 9" concentric coil. I need to look in to checking/changing that on/off/ sensitivity potentiometer and take some more walks down memory lane :>)

Posted by: Arthur-Canada
Date: December 02, 2019 10:47PM
Love taking my old Mark 1 out several times a year still. I usually run disc wide open and just listen for the tone. It has dozens of different tones. Many old deep coins will sound in the iron range 3 out of 4 passes over the target. If you don't leave disc open you will not hear that iron bong sound and probably pass up a lot of those deep coins. I always check those deep iron signals with several passes from different directions.

Also love using my old Golden Sabre. Probably one of the best iron separation machines I have, but it's not very deep. 8 inches about tops on a quarter size coin in my ground.

Posted by: karelian
Date: January 14, 2020 05:08AM
Minty old Garrett A2B is used at least once a year, usually if I know other detectorists will be about. It is a great conversation starter since is has some 'status' in Australia. I run it in all metal VLF, auto tune with the standard coil that is just over seven inches. Depending on the ground coins come in easily at 8 inches. That Groundhog circuitry has a good reputation for hitting hard. Tune it right and it performs. Because it is so clean other detectorists are intrigued and give it a good going over. This old machines has opened the door to great memories and new friends. Best of all it still brings home some good finds.
All the best, Karelian