Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Vintage Detecting Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: PRG: I WISH THAT IT WAS A GARRETT!!
Posted by: UK Brian
Date: August 10, 2007 02:57AM
This is a it like drawing teeth but if you re read your posts you talk of a PRG but don't name it. Suggest that one might be in the Garrett museum which would lead people to think the un-named machine is a Garrett. Say you had the 'use of one'. O.K. I've had the use of the Nexus, Saxon X-1 Ultradepth, Lorenz, OKI, Pulse Star and many similar but haven't bought them because of the limitations these non mainstream machines have.
You say only 50 of the PRG's were sold and wonder what happened to them. Well you should know what happened to the one you had and it would be more helpful if you gave the reasons why you parted with it.

The impression with many posts regarding older machines is that they had performance beyond that that they really had. If they did they would have been developed further. Many were unreliable, most were heavy, often had high battery consumption and limited performance.
This hasn't prevented me keeping many of them as they often also have better abilities in high rubbish areas, iron 'see through' etc.

HEY BRIAN........... GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Posted by: Joe(TX)
Date: August 10, 2007 09:40AM
Brian,(this is like pulling hen's teeth??) most of your posts have been negative! If you don't like me talking about the PRG or Garrett just say so! You need to re-read my posts! I mentioned NEGATIVE as well as POSTIVE ASPECTS of this machine! Although great for 1974 it would not or could not keep up with todays machines! BUT...............it is still a GREAT COLLECTOR's PIECE! I am a Vintage Detector Collector! Mine was GREAT........BUT it did not have the depth of the VLF's and not so sensitive to iron relics so when the VLF's appeared I traded my PRG off for one of the early model VLF Discriminators! I loved the new (for the time) VLF's but that doesn't mean that I don't have any REGRETS! AND FOR ME TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PRG AFTER THE TRADE GIVE ME A BREAK AGAIN!!!Brian if you have been using and collecting detectors for over 36 years like me.............it is IMPOSSIBLE to keep track of every detector traded, sold, etc..............NOW..............I wish that I could field test machines like the Saxon-1, Arado 120B, Arado 130, Nexxus, etc. without having to buy one or paying rental fees! (Where do I sign up?).................HH...........Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2007 09:59AM by Joe(TX).

Re: HEY BRIAN........... GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Date: August 13, 2007 09:48AM
I don't re buy detectors. I normally buy from a dealer who will let me try two or three of a model. I select the best for my needs (often the older machines had one mode that was hot, say all metal but discrim. would be weak or vis versa.
Then I would keep it until it was really proved obsolete.
I've never traded in a machine yet because so often the updated 'improved' version would not be, in use, in the field.

Re: HEY BRIAN........... GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
Date: August 13, 2007 12:49PM
Sorry to hear that it is very hard to get vintage detectors repaired in Great Britain due to lack of parts or that the parts have become very rare and either impossible to get or almost impossible! I have a little difficulty getting parts but nothing compared to what is happening in Great Britain! Also one must read inbetween the lines of my posts although a vintage detector may do good here in my neutral soil, it may be a major disappointment like in Great Britain where the soil is mineralized or at least the soil acts like it is mineralized due to the eons of iron rubbish! I sure would like to detect over there with any of my VLF type machines (even a Garrett- whose parts should be easier to obtain than some of the other obsolete brands)................HH.............and pleast post some of those Ancient Coin finds!........................Joe

Re: Anyone use the Nexus?
Posted by: Sheddy
Date: August 16, 2007 05:16AM
Before I start, I would like to make it clear that the Nexus machine I have does perform in exactly the way that George says it does. It is very deep and discriminates perfectly.

I bought the third one of the Nexus machines. George had the first obviously, GaryUK had the second and mine was next. When I bought it George explained that the machines were under constant development and as the machines got better and the models evolved he would keep my one up to date free of charge. This was to be his way of thanking me for showing some faith in his machine and parting with a large sum of money.

A couple of months ago I notice on the Nexus web-site that the machine had now changed cosmetically and according to George's web-site, also the performance had improved. I contacted George and asked him about the improvements and the promised upgrades.

According to him, the improvements mentioned on his web-site are not improvements. My machine is more powerful and more sensitive. Apparently the original stem (two bits of wood 32mmx32mm) are much better than the composite stems that he now offers and the coils he is now making are nowhere near as good as the one that is on mine.

In short, he doesn't consider that the Nexus machines have been upgraded so mine can stay as it is. I may take a picture in a bit and post it up along with a link to his website. You can decide what the better looking machine is.

I can't see why someone would advertise that his product has been improved and then tell an existing client that the current product is worse than the original. Why go backwards with performance? Either way, George has contradicted himself. Either the machines have been upgraded and he is renaging on his promise or his web-site is not telling things as-is and the new machines do not perform as well as the early ones.

One thing is certain. If the older machines are better than the new ones I certainly wouldn't buy a new one. The control box on mine fell apart within six months and since then has got gaffa tape holding it together and the wires within the battery box have all had to be either re-soldered or replaced because the connections kept breaking. Finally, none of the labelling on the control box was water-proof. The first time it got even slightly wet it all ran.

The overall build quality on machine No.3 was crap. George reckons the older ones are better? God know what the build quality on the new ones is like then!

Re: not exactly a ringing endorsement:rofl:
Posted by: Steve(MS)
Date: August 17, 2007 02:48AM
it started positive but went down hill after that. I always wondered how such a detector would do in trashy areas.

Re: Anyone use the Nexus?
Date: August 17, 2007 06:00AM
I may be wrong here but I thought one of the first round of improvements was on the cosmetic side to deal with the problems you mention.

Performance wise I suppose the one to ask would be Gary as he did have the new mods.

The new machine does look more profesionally built, especially the coils, which did look prone to break in the past but then the old ones were made of some wonder material that was both tough and expensive.

The improved performance was not just down to the twin coil design that had been used twenty odd years ago but to accuracy in construction. I can't rember if it was Gary or Georgi I spoke to but there was a very high rejection rate on the coils... if they were not up to spec. then they got binned.
It would be interesting to know if the coil material has changed for speed of production and a lower spec. is being accepted.

Refreshing to hear your views. The problem is that those who do have the machines up for sale, like the SE on one of the British forums at the moment, are not likely to dwell on any short comings.

AND GARRETT SAYS..........................
Date: September 06, 2007 05:33AM
I finally decided to stop speculating about the Garrett connection and sent Garrett an email about whether they had one in their museum or if they possessed any more info on this detector!!??? All I got was one big NADA.....................I guess to find one of these detectors, one must become a detective and track down any known original owners. Also this is compounded by the fact that this detector was popular over 30 years ago and most of the original owners are either deceased or in retirement homes!..............it would be easier to track down a pre-production Garrett, Roach detector or a Metlsensor.................HH............Joe

FINALLY FOUND AN ORIGINAL PRG OWNER...............
Date: January 11, 2008 10:05PM
.................................would not sell even for big bucks!!..................At least for this one, the owner stated that the meter has not worked in years!!....................................OH WELL THAT IS THE WAAY THAT IT GOES SOMETIMES.......................HH..............Joe

Re: PHASE READOUT GRADIOMETER (PRG)
Posted by: Keith(OH)
Date: January 10, 2020 02:47PM
I know old thread, but I have one of these.

Re: PHASE READOUT GRADIOMETER (PRG)
Posted by: Carl-NC
Date: January 14, 2020 09:35PM
Keith(OH)
I know old thread, but I have one of these.

Keith, please contact me, carl[at]geotech1[dot]com.