Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Minelab SD, GP, & GPX Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
Re: Gpx 4500 depth?
Posted by: lytle78
Date: February 03, 2019 07:33AM
Shep - I just re-read my post about the dimensions. I should have re-read it before posting. I didn’t mean to be rude, but what I wrote sounded like that.

The reason I was pressing for dimensions is that surface effects are a big part of the response of non-ferrous targets. For that reason comparing the the mass of one target to another mau not be a direct comparison. Lead shot is uniform and can be the basis for comparisons by others. Of course the soil has a lot to do with it - although perhaps less so for PI’s.

Rick Kempf

Posted by: shep
Date: February 03, 2019 12:38PM
Alright, for data/science. test nuggets are lead sinkers smashed and cut to weight of .5 gram. The roundest one is .229" diameter and .055" thick. Some are .061" thick. As with real nuggets, no two are alike. I didn't want the test nugget to be too flat, altho have found some nice leaf gold. Gonna try and throw a pic in for size comparison only. This all has been kind of fun for a wet and cold rainy weekend.

Going to see the Elephant

Posted by: lytle78
Date: February 03, 2019 02:27PM
Glad I could help you pass a rainy day! Lol

thanks for the data

Rick Kempf

Posted by: Mxt Sniper
Date: February 05, 2019 06:43PM
Why are you'all using DD coils on a gpx4500? Is the ground your hunting that hot? If not use a mono they go much deeper than DD coils. My gpx4500 with 14" Coiltek Elite Mono can get a solid gold nugget at 13" weighing 1.3 gram in medium alkali soils of Nevada. . Sensitive Extra, deep audio, very slow, 9-10 gain, 7-8 stab, using a SP01 sound enhancer.

Posted by: shep
Date: February 05, 2019 10:04PM
In all fairness, I'm sure everyone knows the mono goes deeper than a DD. The original post was a question by a relic hunter. Gave his settings, but didn't really mention conditions. Might be running DD because using discrimination due to trash or around power lines or in an urban area. There are a lot of reasons one has to run a DD.
I hunt gold too and use a Mono 99.9% of the time, but I'm out in the desert or at least not usually around power lines. Places out of Quartszite AZ, that only a DD will work.

Going to see the Elephant

Posted by: Tony
Date: February 06, 2019 02:43AM
In hot ground, running a DD coil in NORMAL/SHARP timings can often punch deeper than a mono in other "less powerful" timings.
Down here in Australia, in bad ground, a mono in "Enhance" will squeal and will not punch that deep. Using a DD in NORMAL timings will find gold deeper.
I learnt this from real pro's....the guys who have been swinging 4500's for over 10 years, 20-30 hours every week.
But in quieter ground.......a mono in ENHANCE is a good combo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2019 02:45AM by Tony.

Posted by: Colour
Date: July 27, 2019 06:49PM
Nothing wrong with your machine. In mild soil PI's won't go as deep. Then, if you want to get past the 12" mark you'll need a larger coil. Those 11" coils are for picking up flyshit at about a foot depth.