Findmall.com

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.

Minelab SD, GP, & GPX Classroom Forum

Welcome! Log In Register
GP/GPX coil experiment risk?
Posted by: bklein
Date: September 16, 2019 12:30PM
I’ve read some messages indicating putting an incompatible coil on these machines could damage them. I tried a beach hog on my GP Extreme and it worked ok. Now I’d like to try the coil from my whites DF. Risky?

Re: GP/GPX coil experiment risk?
Posted by: Jim in Idaho
Date: September 16, 2019 04:39PM
Generally, you can use the Minelab coils on the Whites, but NOT the reverse.
Jim

Date: September 16, 2019 09:16PM
The Beach Hog I tried was a TDI coil. So what’s the deal, Whites coils just don’t perform well or there is risk of machine damage? The GP coil is already fairly low resistance so current should not be an issue with a Whites coil.... I feel the DF coil already doesn’t perform on a DF as it should so I am curious to try on the GP. Bought the Gp with blown front end though....

Date: September 16, 2019 09:34PM
I have no idea of the reason....just stating what the general consensus is on several Minelab discussions.
Jim

Date: September 19, 2019 09:24AM
I got a reply from Carl on geotech and he said whites coils are ok to try but have higher coil resistance so GP coils should do better on the GP machines.
I’ll post how things work out.

Date: September 19, 2019 09:36AM
That explains why they're not recommended for the GP series. Higher coil resistance means less current though the coil, and a weaker magnetic field into the ground. That would mean less depth.
Jim